Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Canteen Day - caring for my sister

Joseph's kindy had a Canteen Day for 6-year-olds yesterday. It was like a practical lesson as part of the syllabus in learning about money.


So I packed the RM10 in various denominations as suggested by his teacher and advised him not to buy junk like sweets, lollipops and other junk food. I also reminded him that there was no need to spend the entire RM10 just for the sake of spending.


He came home from school pretty happy because for one thing, there was no chinese lesson because of Canteen Day.


As soon as he got into the car, he took out the bottle of Vitagen that he bought for his sister. I asked him whether he bought one for himself and he said he already drank it up during snack time along with the pack of snacks (fishball + nugget + sausage) he bought.


Joseph also bought a cute little pink dinosaur eraser for his sister.

And for himself, he bought a mechanical pencil. Altogether, he spent RM3.95 and brought home the balance of RM6.05. I told him I was very pleased that he thought of his sister and didn't just spend on himself.


Last Saturday, he also showed his caring side without being prompted. We were at Children's Church and just before it started, Daalin took both kids to the loo (actually Joe went by himself) while I went to return the library books and then went to the loo.


When I got back to Hall 1, Daalin was already on stage leading worship. I looked around for Joy and finally found her standing next to her Joseph who had his arm around her shoulder. Since she looked pretty fine, I just stood at a distance behind her without her knowledge.


A short while later, pastor's wife who was standing behind them came to tell me that Joy cried for me but Joseph quickly asked her to stay with him and took care of her. She said was so encouraged to see Joseph take care of his little sister.


I just know he's gonna be a wonderful kor kor to 2 little sisters. Especially when he has his "nobody bullies my sister except me!" policy....

2 comments:

  1. awww.... so sweet! well done, Joe!
    yes am sure he'll be a very loving kor-kor to his 2 sisters....
    (that's why when i was small, i've always wanted a big brother! haha :P )

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet of J!
    Evan said he wanted to buy the Angry Pencil for Marissa but he couldn't grab one. he ended up with stickers and Twisties for her!

    ReplyDelete