Monday, January 05, 2009

Joe's first day smiles and blues

Joseph went to school today. I'm so pleased with him. It's really a breakthrough!
Up till last week, he didn't want to go. At some point when we came to visit, he wouldn't even go in. He kept saying, "I'm too scared" and "You have to stand there and watch me".

But last week, our conversation changed...

Mama : Do you want to go to school?
Joe : Yes! Because I think I'm brave now.
Mama : Can mama go to school with you?
Joe : NO! You go to work.
Mama : Can Joy-Anne go to school with you?
Joe : No. Joy-Anne is a baby. I'm a big boy!
Mama : So who will you bring to school with you?
Joe : Jesus. (pats his chest)
Mama : Are you gonna cry?
Joe : Nooooo.....
Mama : And what if other children cry?
Joe : I will comfort them.

So this morning....I had to wake him up at 7am (he usually sleeps till about 8am). It kinda reminded me of how my mother used to have to a hard time trying to wake my brother up for school every morning.

We got there in plenty of time. Joseph smiled at his teacher and played with the toys on the table. But he kept looking around for me.
Finally at about 9am, he looked pretty comfortable and I thought it was alright to leave him for a while. I pointed to the clock and told him that mama will be back when the short hand reaches the number 10. He said ok, waved and said, "Bye bye mama!"

So I went over to the other block and sat around reading through the Parent Handbook.

At exactly 10am, I went back to peep at him and saw his eyes red and teary.

He cried out loud when he saw me and ran for a hug. I told him it was alright, dried his tears and then he went back to sit with his class.

Soon it was time to line up and gather for dismissal assembly.

I was surprised that he was pretty compliant.


He obeyed the teachers and sat and stood as he was told.


Then they sang songs and did a dino dance.

Again, I was very surprised that Joseph participated and did all the actions. He has plenty of such opportunities at Children's Church every Saturday but he has never done any of the actions by himself. Not even when his papa is on stage leading the singing. He usually clings to me like a koala.
But today, he was so independent. I felt strange. But it was nice to see him wave and smile when the teacher said to wave at your mama and papa.

When he was dismissed, he waved to his teacher and said, "See you tomorrow". He came home and told Nana that he cried "just a little bit".
I'm pretty sure he will be alright here in Tadika Juara Cerdik.




No comments:

Post a Comment