Thursday, August 09, 2007

free fun for kids

I'm one who is of the opinion that kids do not need expensive toys.....regardless of the impressive labels and instructions on fancy packaging of exorbitantly-priced toys. Ask any mother and you'll probably be told that their kids' favourite toys are handphones or empty boxes and container, eating utensils or the tv remote control.

Last Monday, my sister and I were shopping for her shoes at 1-Utama. In the Scholl shop, there were a few big boxes of shoes just delivered by the supplier. Joe took the liberty to start taking out the shoe boxes, one by one, out of the big cardboard box. When we stopped him, he climbed onto the huge box with all the smaller shoe boxes. So I sheepishly asked the lady in the store if they had any empty boxes that they would be throwing away soon.

The very nice lady took the trouble to empty those cardboard boxes, fold and tie them up neatly for me to take home.


Joe has been enjoying his new 'toys' at home. He climbs in and out and really exercises his imagination. I found a round plastic cover and made a 'steering wheel' for him. One minute the box is a train. And he'll say, "choo chooo.....chuga chuga. Oh oh...no wheels. How to move?". The next minute it's a boat.

Then he makes it his secret hideaway. "I go in....close the door", he says. We then pretend we can't find him, and he'll jump out and say, "here I am!"

peekaboo!

No comments:

Post a Comment