Friday, November 21, 2014

Feeding my Babies

I've often been asked what grub I feed my children. It's kinda well-known that my babies don't eat rice. Instead, they are on a staple of oats until 6 years of age. 

This is their usual breakfast... plain oats with one scoop of herbalife F1.

Lunch and dinner are savoury oats. This is one example: I boil some ikan bilis and then strain the soup. Thereafter I add in potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic and chicken breast to boil. When it is quite cooked, I add in the spinach and turn off the flame so that the green does not overcook.
 I do this early in the morning before the kids wake up. While it is boiling, I do other stuff like get Joy ready for school (tying her hair takes time!!!)
quick-cooking oats in a pot
After the babies finish their breakfast, I have some time before Isaac needs to nap. This is when I cook their lunch. I use the soup to cook the oats on small fire.

 While that is boiling, I put the vegetables and chicken in my blender...

 ...and blend it!

This is added to the oats in the pot...

Give it a quick stir and I have enough to feed 3 kids for 3 meals. It takes me about 15 minutes to do this.
There's no oil, no salt, no sugar, no msg. It's nutritious and balanced. Joy is still eating this at almost 7 years of age. It's not that I force her to eat this but this is her preferred food. Which makes my life easier so I've no complains. 

Some days I just put the veges in a steamer. Or salmon in the oven. They eat a variety of vegetables....pumpkin, sweet potatoes, french bean etc.

I think this is far easier than using a slow-cooker which I find cumbersome because it is so fragile and heavy, takes a long time and leaves a crust of wasted food at the bottom (which is a pain to clean!)

On a staple of oats, they have never had any constipation problems. Isaac is probably almost 12kg while Isabel (although tiny when younger) is almost 15kg at 3 years old. Joy and Joe are just impossible to carry anymore. They are all of good height and fairly healthy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment