Tuesday, November 13, 2007

changes in me

I know for sure. Motherhood has changed me.

In the BC (before children) era, I used to be able to sleep anywhere, anyhow, anytime. I slept in cars, boats, trains, buses and airplanes. I slept in school and lecture theatres. I slept in the cinema. I slept at work. I've even slept on the dental chair! And when I say sleep, I mean really sound asleep with drool dripping down the side of my mouth.


Ever since Joseph arrived, I seem to have naturally lost this ability. It's irreversible. If I could previously sleep through an earthquake (I've slept through tremors!), now I'm awaken when Joseph even stirs.


If he wets his diaper at 2am, I don't need my hands to feel his wet pants. My nose detects the slight smell of pee.


If he stands still for a second with 'that' look, I know he's about to do his big business.


I can anticipate his next move (like when he's about to sommersault off the edge of the bed).


If he has a fever, I don't need a thermometer to confirm it. My hands can tell the difference between a mild fever and a high fever.
I find that I can no longer take lunch time naps at work. I just can't fall asleep if Joseph is not beside me. Nevertheless, I'm thankful.
I'm thankful for my very cheeky bundle of joy. I'm thankful for this blessing. This gift that God has so graciously blessed us with. We're praying everyday, that he will grow to love his little sister, to be a good big brother, and to be a man who loves the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment